Reading and Writing Journey

I will be posting my thoughts on different texts that I will be reading. The destination is not as important as the journey.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Efferent and Aesthetic Reading-Move over Margaret Kilgo

Wow!  Double and triple wow!  This was so deep that I became lost a few times.  I managed to wade back into consciousness. It's a lot to take in at 1:27 am.  When you read through Rosenblatt, you really have to read it slowly.  She explains things with varied examples that bring it to the concrete analysis.  I may need some more concreteness before this is over.  There's one thing that is true, I definitely understand the difference between Efferent-to take away type of reading and Aesthetic type of literary reading.  I kept thinking about standardized testing and STAAR Reading test as I was reading.  I was wondering if when kids read the STAAR Reading test, if they aren't really going to the efferent of "just the facts ma'am" type mentality and not getting lost in the text that aesthetic reading can do for you.  I know many teachers have the students write the main idea next to each paragraph as they read.  They believe this practice will help the student get the gist out of every paragraph.  This sounds to me much like the efferent reading of getting the take away instead of going deeper and looking at the text from different stances.  I know Rosenblatt spoke of the continuum of the aesthetic and efferent.  We move accordingly as readers depending on many factors.  But if we has teachers, only teach our students to just get "just the facts ma'am" how much are we missing?  How much of the transaction are we withholding from our kids?  I know the STAAR is genre based and we have a literary base and an informational base.  Practically the whole test is on the analysis and inferential levels.  If we are about "just the facts ma'am" only, aren't we missing the boat?  I am thinking about how I bring all the cognition into both types of reading and it depends on my stance and other factors.  I think it is important to understand both and how we treat them as readers in this transaction with the text.  Many people view the aesthetic as all kumbaya and flower childish.  Rosenblatt puts that to bed.  It's about cognition...thinking....That's not too bad at 1:37 am on a Saturday morning.  I'll look it over tomorrow as a part of the transaction to see what I was thinking, the language I was trying to convey and if it all makes sense to me tomorrow as a reader...transactional theory-you have to love it!

No comments: